logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
ggglll  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:54:48 PM(UTC)
ggglll

Groups: Registered

I can get a sense of how much traffic my app is getting through API calls, and a more accurate sense of it by using analytics on the app itself. But I'm very curious to see how I compare with other apps in the app garage.

It's a completely vain and probably impertinent question, but is there any data available for the app garage in aggregate? Average daily API requests per key, most popular platform, most popular app features, that sort of thing?

I'm okay with it if the answer is no, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how much traffic I get, and am simply curious how I stack up.
Ryan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:16:45 AM(UTC)
Ryan

Groups: Administrators, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi ggglll,

I obviously can't give you specifics about individual apps. But I can throw a few numbers at you that should hopefully sate your desire for analytics. Keep in mind that looking at raw numbers, while fun, is probably not the best way to analyze your app. Not all apps are created equal and some apps are going to generate a lot more or less requests simply because of what features they choose to implement and how efficiently they implement those features. All that being said, here's some numbers for you:

Over the summer we get between 175,000-230,000 total requests/day. During the U of I school year those numbers go up to 275,000-330,000 requests/day. Of these requests about 57% are API v2.2, 40% are API v2.1 and 3% are API v2.0.

There are 27 API keys that have made at least one request in the last 24 hours. Of those about 20 have "active" apps with the rest probably being either in development or being used for some other purpose.

I can't give you any specific numbers on the most popular platform, but I can tell you that, purely based on requests, it's probably Android.

As for API feature usage here's a breakdown of the top ten methods across all apps. Keep in mind that these methods are used differently and so comparing them to each other is not really fair.

• 95% - GetDeparturesByStop
  • 1.8% - GetStopsByLatLon
  • 0.6% - for GetShape
  • 0.45% - for GetStopsBySearch
  • 0.3% - for GetLastFeedUpdate
  • 0.25% - for GetPlannedTripsByStops
  • 0.25% - for GetStops
  • 0.2% - for GetShapeBetweenStops
  • 0.1% - for GetPlannedTripsByLatLon
  • 0.1% - for GetStopTimesByStop

One last disclaimer, these numbers are as of this morning. They are in a constant state of flux as the app ecosystem evolves. Anyway, hope this helps...
thanks 1 user thanked Ryan for this useful post.
ggglll on 7/25/2013(UTC)
ggglll  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:14:53 PM(UTC)
ggglll

This is great information! Thanks for providing it, Ryan. It's interesting to see the scale of things. It sounds like my app is barely a drop in the bucket, especially if the total requests/day excludes CUMTD's calls to its own API, but I still get a kick out of seeing people use it.
Ryan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:27:41 PM(UTC)
Ryan

Groups: Administrators, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm glad the information is helpful. I can't stress enough though: If your app is not making up a significant portion of our total requests, that still doesn't necessarily mean that it's less popular than any other apps. Some apps burn through a very large number of requests for a relatively small number of users.
ggglll  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 10:12:34 AM(UTC)
ggglll

Ryan wrote:
I'm glad the information is helpful. I can't stress enough though: If your app is not making up a significant portion of our total requests, that still doesn't necessarily mean that it's less popular than any other apps. Some apps burn through a very large number of requests for a relatively small number of users.

Makes total sense!