logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
glarb  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:04:49 PM(UTC)
glarb

Groups: Registered

I'd like to ask for clarification on CUMTD's rules regarding use of the name "CUMTD" in an app. I am building an app that is only useful in relation to the CUMTD bus system, so it would make a lot of sense for the name to make reference to CUMTD as a system. However, I see that the terms of use say: "Licensee agrees to refrain from using CUMTD’s names or logo to co‐brand or market Licensee’s programs or products," so I'm worried that including "CUMTD" in the name would be a violation.

I guess I don't see my inclusion of the name "CUMTD" as a co-branding, but rather as a means to clarify the app's target purpose and audience. To leave out reference to CUMTD would be like calling it "The Bus App," (not its actual name, of course) which implies a much larger purpose and audience than it can provide.

At the same time, I understand CUMTD's need to protect their brand and their image. My app doesn't and wouldn't make use of the CUMTD logo, and looks totally distinct from the CUMTD website.

So, am I over-thinking the terms and conditions, or do I need to find some sort of work-around in naming my app?

Thanks!
Ryan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:18:06 PM(UTC)
Ryan

Groups: Administrators, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Using our name to clarify that the app is for our system/uses our data is fine. We are primarily concerned with people branding an app in such a way as to confuse users as to where the app is coming from. It sounds from your post that you have a pretty good handle on this so I wouldn't be too concerned.

That being said, I don't want to make any concrete statements without having actually seen your app.