logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alex88  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:18:35 PM(UTC)
Alex88

Groups: Registered

I'm halfway through a mobile phone application using CUMTD's data that will be useful to anyone in the area on planning trips, finding buses and getting to where they want to go. I'm going to start distributing this to a few people to test around the area, but eventually a single API key won't be feasible if over 50 people are using the app.

Upon first starting the app, I'd like to force the user to register with your site. Could I do this in a normal HTTP REST server request and embed with all the registration details in the call?

Code:
http://developer.cumtd.com/api/{version}/{format}/api_key.newUserRegistration?name=X&email=X&agreedToTerms=true

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rsp stat="ok" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <APIkey>
        <key userAPIkey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"/>
    </APIkey>
</rsp>

The other solution would be to have a single API key hard-coded into the application that you have increased the limit of requests with on the server side.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed,

Thanks!
Ryan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:33:49 AM(UTC)
Ryan

Groups: Administrators, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
We would definitely prefer to have you use a single API key hard coded into your application. Having each user sign up for their own kind of breaks the purpose of having an API key.

As for upping your request limit we are certainly willing to consider it, but we would prefer to work on an as needed basis. If you begin to run into the request limit please contact us, but until then we will probably keep you at 1000.
Alex88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:49:07 PM(UTC)
Alex88

Ryan wrote:
We would definitely prefer to have you use a single API key hard coded into your application. Having each user sign up for their own kind of breaks the purpose of having an API key.

As for upping your request limit we are certainly willing to consider it, but we would prefer to work on an as needed basis. If you begin to run into the request limit please contact us, but until then we will probably keep you at 1000.

I will have no way of knowing if a random user hits the limit while using the app. Will something trigger on your end?
Sean  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:47:02 AM(UTC)
Sean

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yeah we probably should send some notification to the owner of the API key to let them know that their key is hitting the limit. Any suggestion on how often you'd want to be notified? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month?
Alex88  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:30:02 PM(UTC)
Alex88

Sean wrote:
Yeah we probably should send some notification to the owner of the API key to let them know that their key is hitting the limit. Any suggestion on how often you'd want to be notified? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month?

Well this wouldn't really be relevant to me if I am sharing the key with a lot of users. It would more be useful to you guys, wouldn't it? For instance, I have no idea what kind of use to expect.
Ryan  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:38:29 PM(UTC)
Ryan

Groups: Administrators, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Like I said, we would be willing to up your limit if we deemed it necessary. We do some logging on our end and our plan for upping keys would be to work with developers when they request it and use our logged data to see if it's justified. The emails are just to keep you informed so you will know if you need to request an increase.
Alex88  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:10:37 PM(UTC)
Alex88

Ryan wrote:
Like I said, we would be willing to up your limit if we deemed it necessary. We do some logging on our end and our plan for upping keys would be to work with developers when they request it and use our logged data to see if it's justified. The emails are just to keep you informed so you will know if you need to request an increase.

Got it, once a week.

Thanks