logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
tb6387  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:22:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to develop a web app for the application challenge for version 2.0 of CUMTD's API. To facilitate this work I have developed a php API for accessing CUMTD data.

I have elected to release this API under the GNU General Public License for others to use. My hope is that even if my application does not win the contest (or if I finish it for that matter) someone will be able to build a really cool application atop my API that will make getting information about the buses even better.

I've posted the initial release of my API on GitHub: https://github.com/tb6387/cumtd_php.

To the CUMTD moderators: I read over the terms of use for the CUMTD API and I don't believe I am violating anything by releasing this work but I'm not a legal expert so if I am, please let me know.

Cheers,
TB6387
Sean  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:34:56 AM(UTC)
Sean

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We have absolutely no problem with you releasing this. In fact, we would encourage anyone that wants to release code to help other developers work with our API in whatever language suits them. We looked through your API and it seems thoughtfully put together and well commented. We're really happy to see you used the changeset_id too! Thanks for posting this. Hope to see your app in the challege!
tb6387  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:18:55 AM(UTC)

Sean:

Thank you for clarifying it was okay to release my code, I was mostly concerned that there may be some conflict with your license and the GNU GPL.

That is one thing I didn't mention in my original post is that the php API I wrote does full caching using the changeset_id. This is something I think my API adds that could save someone interested in writing a web app some time.

Your API is well written and is great to work with, thanks for putting together such a great tool!
Sean  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:35:20 AM(UTC)
Sean

The Terms of Use are geared more towards protecting CUMTD than hindering developers. Most of it is intended to allow us to take action if someone is abusing the API. We also limit the use of our logo so customers don't mistake a third party application for something we've made. We've been contacted in the past by users that have some issue with an app or they are upset because they think we're charging for an app. We don't want to stop developers from charging for their app, but we can't provide support either so this was the best option in our opinion.

And thanks for the compliments! If you find any problems or have any ideas that we could add to the API or developer resources, let us know.

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:36:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tb6387  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:47:01 PM(UTC)

I have changed my GitHub username and thus the URL I originally posted will be broken. For anyone interested, the new repository can be found at https://github.com/stantontcady/cumtd_php.

I have also updated the code to reflect the latest changes in version 2.1 of the CUMTD API. I did my best to maintain backward compatibility but I can't guarantee it.
Sean  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2012 2:17:18 PM(UTC)
Sean

Awesome! Thanks for keeping us up to date.