logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josh  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:43:02 PM(UTC)
Josh

Groups: Registered

So I'm trying to come to terms with what all the API can do, but so far I've run into some problems (most of which went away once I realized that stop_ids aren't the SMS codes we all know and love). According to the documentation, GetStopsBySearch should be able to usefully return the stop based on those SMS codes that are easy to type in. I decided to actually try that functionality. Turns out it doesn't work. :( Just for fun, try using the query with code MTD6610 (The Institute of Aviation): developer.cumtd.com/api/v2.0/xml/GetStopsBySearch?key=yourkey&query=MTD6610 This will return a list of 10 stops, not one of which has SMS code 6610, or is anywhere near Willard. Entering just the digit part of the SMS code doesn't help either, as: developer.cumtd.com/api/v2.0/xml/GetStopsBySearch?key=yourkey&query=6610 gives a subtly different (not useful) answer. Other codes I tried (CLSL, MTD6242, Plant Sciences Lab, MTD6731) had similar results. If it worked, it would be awesome, as these are easier to type than full addresses.
Sean  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:43:45 PM(UTC)
Sean

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Funny you should mention that. We actually realized this today and we're almost done fixing this issue. We'll also be chaning some logic logic to filter out poor results instead of giving everything even if it doesn't match. Hopefully we'll have this out by the end of the day tomorrow, but at least by the end of the week. Sorry about that. Just FYI in case you didn't know, you can put in any string you want into the query including "green and wright" or even "grean and writ" and you'll get nice results. Maybe we should update the documentation to make that more explicit...
Josh  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:55:37 PM(UTC)
Josh

Yup yup, that part works, but just isn't as useful to what I want. Google knows where cross-streets are (and also where buildings on campus are that don't have bus-stops, which is far more useful to me), but is clueless when it comes where stop codes correspond to. Glad to hear it's getting fixed!
Sean  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:11:39 AM(UTC)
Sean

If you're using Google to get landmarks like buildings, GetStopsByLatLon might be more useful if you have the latitude & longitude of the building. I'm not quite sure how you'd map text message codes to each building on campus.
Josh  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:08:53 AM(UTC)
Josh

You wouldn't map them, but if someone happened to know their SMS code (and entered that as their origin or destination instead of a building name or an address), I just needed a way to get the lat & long of that stop to throw into the trip planner instead of relying on google. The trip planner itself works beautifully though, so that is a major plus. :)
Sean  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:24:54 PM(UTC)
Sean

Ahh, I see what you're doing. Glad the trip planner is working well for you.
Sean  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:50:45 PM(UTC)
Sean

We've fixed the bug with GetStopsBySearch not finding results when you enter text message code. Give it a try.
Maurice  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:42:49 PM(UTC)
Maurice

GetStopsBySearch is a nice addition to the API. But with the current state, I cannot convince myself to migrate to this API yet since it fails in some quite common cases. 1. Search SMS code without the "MTD" prefix doesn't work. 2. Searching some keywords like ISR or ARC returns no results or unrelated ones. (Probably since the search is only performed on the stop_name not the stop_id, and does not traverse into the points of the stop and check individual names. )